Low-level criminal John (Anton Tennet, Underbelly) dreams of getting together enough money to move out of his dead-end town of Thames, New Zealand, and start his own gang. So when his boss, Shelton (Jonny Brugh, What We Do In the Shadows), has him rip off a triad cash drop at a local Chinese antique store, John decides to double-cross his boss and take the loot for himself – along with a mysterious Chinese amulet. While Shelton’s goons quickly catch onto his betrayal, snatch back the cash and try to do him in, John just as quickly discovers the power of the amulet: an ancient Chinese time-travel device, it enables him to elude their clutches by slipping back two minutes in time. The catch? It creates a replica ‘John’ in the process. John is initially delighted by the discovery and sets out to create a small army of duplicates – the ‘Mega Time Squad’ – to help him retrieve the loot. But this reckless use of the amulet also summons an ancient Chinese demon, and as tensions between ‘the Johns’ grow – and with the demon and Shelton hot on their trail – the Johns must decide what really matters to save the day and get the girl.
Key Marketing Points:
- MPI theatrical release
- Starring Anton Tennet, Jonny Brugh (What We Do in the Shadows), Hetty Gaskell-Hahn, Milo Cawthorne (Deathgasm)
- Directed by Tim Van Dammen
- Rotten Tomatoes – 90% positive reviews
- Official Selection – Fantasia Film Festival 2018
- Will appeal to Comic-Con fans and films in the vein of Back to the Future, What We Do in the Shadows, and Idiocracy