It has come to our attention that there are counterfeit sets being sold and distributed for Dark Shadows: The Complete Series Deluxe Edition (MPI item # DVD7991). These counterfeit sets appear nearly identical to the authentic sets. If you are experiencing playback issues with your discs, it is possible that you have purchased a counterfeit set. If so, please alert us as to where you purchased the set. The more detail you can provide us (seller, links, pictures, etc.), the more it will help us put a stop to this illegal distribution of the Dark Shadows Complete Series.
Below is a list of ways you can tell you have purchased a counterfeit set:
- The authentic set is wrapped in a plastic polybag whereas the counterfeit set is shrink wrapped
- The authentic set has a thread that prevents the coffin lid from opening too far. The counterfeit set will open all the way (i.e. no thread).
- The colors are much purer on the authentic set (stronger reds and blacks)
- The pages in the booklet are a thinner/poor quality whereas the authentic set is a thicker glossier stock
- The corners of the set might be banged up on the counterfeit set
- MPI used eco-friendly trays in the amaray cases which have holes in them to save on plastic where the counterfeit sets have solid black plastic backing behind each disc.
- The picture quality of the actual program will be poorer. The counterfeit sets use a single layer disc compressing the quality onto one disc whereas the authentic version contains dual layered discs
- The counterfeit set will have defective discs whereas the authentic set should not
- Attached are some more ways you can tell the difference between the authentic set and the counterfeit by examining the actual discs
Below is a video of the authentic set which also explains the differences between the two:
MPI is not responsible for the purchase or quality of counterfeit sets. If you have purchased an illegal set, we recommend contacting eBay and putting a claim against the seller of the counterfeit set. We also encourage you to make your purchases through established retailers such as Amazon.com. eBay is not a recommended outlet for this item, and MPI does not sell this item via eBay.