How did an ordinary, middle-aged couple become a symbol of defiance against Nazi brutality? This true-life tale of courage unfolds against the tumultuous backdrop of Berlin in 1940. Otto and Anna Quangel (Brendan Gleeson & Emma Thompson) are a working class husband and wife doing their best to ride out the war. When their son is killed fighting on the frontlines, however, everything changes. They begin pouring their rage and grief into postcards emblazoned with anti-Nazi slogans, risking everything to disseminate their messages of protest across the city. But this seemingly small act of subversion rattles the regime, including a police inspector (Daniel Brühl) who will not rest until the culprits have been caught. Based on the bestselling novel Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada, Alone in Berlin is both a gripping thriller and a stirring ode to resistance.
Key Marketing Points:
- IFC theatrical release
- Based on the bestselling novel by Hans Fallada (New York Times Book Review Notable Book of the Year)
- Starring Academy Award winner Emma Thompson (Sense & Sensibility, Saving Mr. Banks), Brendan Gleeson (Edge of Tomorrow, Calvary), and Daniel Brühl (Inglourious Basterds, Rush)
- From the producers of Amour, Cloud Atlas, Run Lola Run, and Brokeback Mountain
- Official Selection – Berlin International Film Festival
- Over 800K YouTube trailer views